Here in Arkansas Deer Hunting Season is well underway, which means a good number of our great state’s population will be heading to the woods with their gun to bag that big buck. We at the Bailey and Oliver Law Firm are fresh off a trial victory in which a husband shot and killed his wife. During that trial, even the opposing counsel had to be reminded by the gun expert some of the basics of gun safety (such as, don’t point the gun at anyone… EVER!).
With these two things in mind, we are reminded that you can never be too safe with a gun. And, it is prudent that we review even the most basic of gun safety rules. Here are a few of the basic rules that were laid out during our trial by our experts. Remember, even a momentary lapse in following the rules can have devastating results.
1. Always check to make sure a gun in unloaded when handed it by another person.
2. Never point the gun at anyone, or anything, you do not intend to shoot.
3. Always keeps the safety on until ready to fire.
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire.
5. Never mix firearms and alcohol.
6. See where you are aiming, and know what you see.
Keeping these basic safety tips in mind can help prevent even a split second lapse in safety. It only takes a moment for a tragedy to occur. Hopefully, these reminders will keep us vigilant and safe as we participate in one of America’s oldest and storied pastimes.